The Random Rambling Thought of the Week


The Random Rambling Thought of the Week:

"Failure is a very real option, the value of which is often understated. How else can you truly gauge success?"

March 1, 2011

And Here... We... Go!

First order of business…
I am The[random]Puma.  Welcome to this wonderful experiment known as my blog.  This endeavor will be either a fun delightful success or a failure of (this next part is me being realistic) few people noticing.  I am hoping for the former while realizing the latter is a real possibility. That is not going to stop me though.  I view the vast internet as missing something, specifically my thoughts and comments.  Now in the blogosphere there are millions of people making comments about a lot of the same stuff I will be commenting on, only they are not me.  As most of the people who will read this know, there is really no one else quite like me.  I am not trying to say I am better than my newfound “peers” only that they are infact different from me.  That little fact will be the whole difference in this experiment and will determine the result.
What is the result I am trying to get though?  Other than people reading what I have to write, nothing.  Actually, let me rephrase that.  Absolutely nothing is what I want to accomplish.  Someone has a better chance of pinning a tail on a live donkey in an obstacle (mouse traps, rakes, chairs, whatever else could be painful to run into) filled room and not getting kicked, before I decide if this is to go anywhere.  All I know is this blog is to be random ramblings of thoughts on anything.  Sure it will have certain emphasis on some areas but that’s because I have interests in certain areas more than others.  Just as I am sure, you, a reader of this rambling have interests of your own. 
So without further delay…
Let’s do this!
First topic up for Rambling is …
WISCONSIN
Personally, I find the situation currently there to be quite irritating.  And I feel it’s been a growing trend in across the nation.  For those who do not know, the Governor of Wisconsin is trying to pass legislation that would ban teachers from seeking CBAs.  The teachers would be forced to sacrifice benefits that they have worked hard for and that most of us take for granted.  Now I admit I am not presenting all the details of all of what’s going on.
But we, as a nation are not presenting or facing all the facts of what is going on either.  First of all, teachers do not have an easy job.  They spend arguably more time with the majority of their students then the parents of the students, especially the younger ones.  For years, education funding has been cut.  Class sizes are growing which means there are more kids for teachers to care about.  But the hours of a school day haven’t changed.  They’ve only gotten longer for teachers with more assignments to grade.  And let’s not forget the bullying and other forms of violence in schools.  There are so many more variables I cannot list them all.
I was watching a movie today and a young student claimed, “Teachers don’t care” and I disagree with his claim.  Teachers do care.  I could tell that from my high school experience.  Many of my friends at WSU and from high school have gone on to become teachers.  I know they care.  They care a lot.  Here is the truth though, in today’s world, they are asked to care for too much.  They have to spread themselves too thinly and fight against classroom distractions (cell phones and Facebook).  It is a foregone conclusion some kids will slip through the cracks but with the continued the reductions, more will.  Simply because it is stupid to ask people to do more work and get better results with less-resources to get the job done.  It’s like giving a lumberjack a herring and telling him to go cut down more trees than what he did with a saw.
Punishing teachers is not the answer.  Setting children up for failure is not either.
We need to value and fund education… or we set ourselves up for failure too.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Blogosphere!

    As for your first topic all I can really say is that I find it embarrassing how the whole situation has unfolded. Were the teachers wronged? Probably, but the way they handled it, going to the streets with signage equating the governor to Hitler is just tasteless.

    Teachers are supposed to be elevated intellectuals, not rabble rousers. They could not muster a solid argument against the governor, who is just trying to balance an atrocious budget, and instead of trying to compromise or formulate new solutions they were unwilling to negotiate. Or it is more accurate to say that their union was unwilling to negotiate.

    Unions are one of the most corruptible enterprises ever conceived from honest intentions. They do perform certain services but usually at a ridiculously high price. Most people that belong to unions do so out of pressure and never directly use the services while the union gets to claim to be their voice and act on their behalf. I would say the system is broken, it needs to either be revamped or tossed out.

    That is my stance on the matter. Maybe our basic ideologies differ, but I am all for a balanced budget and the Wisconsin teachers benefits would have not been cut substantially by switching off of the government benefit program. This whole thing is an embarrassment and I fear it is going to be spreading to more states ... soon.

    Related note: Has anybody seen Jimmy Hoffa recently?

    ReplyDelete